Sunday, September 10, 2006

The meaning of loss

Coincidentally & unfortunately, I experienced a different meaning of loss happening in each of my last 3 weeks.
1. Last weekend, I missed half of my most precious little thing, one of my bracket earings with 3 little diamond studs on it. Bought it with my own saving and my first ever expensive jewelry, in fact this is my only jewelry that cost me above IDR 1 mio (excluding gifts). I quietly absorbed the loss as the search of it in my hotel's room turned futile, I have probably lost it in the vast opendoor greenery when having the off-site outbound games with my office colleagues that weekend.

2. The next business day, coming to the office, one member of my workteam surrendered a worthless piece of paper but with very meaningful content... a letter of resignation. I know people come and go at work, I dont expect people to remain loyal to the company, because I know someday this day may happen to me too. But nevertheless, this person, who has an almost angel-like character, bringing cheers to everybody around her & never stops giving smiles, is surely a loss to my little team & will be heartfelt not only to me, but especially to people whose heart she has touched. I wish her success in her new place & hope she finds what she's looking for.

3. And the week before, I received an SMS from a dear good friend:
"Please pray for me to be strong, my baby has now become an angel",
when her doctor had to do the "kuret" procedure. The loss of a human soul is heart blowing, no matter how one has prepared for it or not. Unlike my personal loss last weekend, this loss is priceless. Hope shall bring her up again, for a better tomorrow is yet to come.

"Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight." ~Marcus Aurelius, Meditations


No comments: